Site map Home Ringing at All Saints All Saints Ringers All Saints Tower Bell restoration Project Visiting All Saints Learning to Ring About Bellringing History of Ringing Articles Links Diary Contact us

Did you know? : The first peal at All Saints rung by a local band was on 5th February 1910, in honour of the Rector's birthday.


The Clock Room

The clock room is just below the bells, and all the ropes pass through it, between the bells and ringers. The clock is suspended just below the ceiling, and wound from a raised platform. It was made by Thwaites & Reed of London in 1817. A small face shows the time, and can be turned to set the clock. It is a mirror image of a normal clock face, because it is on the back end of the shaft that drives the hands on the west dial.

  The clock was originally driven by two large lead weights that fell from the pulleys on the ceiling to the ground floor in eight days, enabling the clock to be wound weekly. We are fairly sure the clock was designed like this, because there was enough wire in the drums to reach the whole way. For much of its life it would only run for five days, and had to be wound twice a week, because the weight drop stopped at the gallery floor, which was installed in the 1860s. During subsequent work (probably when the bells were rehung in 1903) one of the weight cables was routed down to the clock room floor then up to the ceiling pulley, which used up much of the spare cable.  There is a large oil stained hole where the eye bolt , to which the pulley block was attached, was screwed into the floor.

Once this history was understood, it was a relatively simple job to re-route the weight cable and extend the weight shaft down into the porch . The cupboard in which it ends was already there, with a weight shaped hole in its top.

In 2005, manual clock winding ended when electric auto-winders were fitted to both the clock drive and the strike mechanism. The clock now uses much smaller weights that fall a limited distance, and are automatically re-wound many times a day. The winding handle  is no longer used.

The other notable feature of the clock room is the end of a roof beam that protrudes through an opening on the east wall. 

In 2005, old carpets were hung over the walls to reduce the reverberation levels heard in the ringing chamber below. This simple, cheap treatment proved very effective.


  Pictures

See All pictures at once , or click on each one to enlarge.

1FmDoor.jpg
Clock room (before carpets)
2Clock.jpg
Clock
3IntFace.jpg
Internal face
4WardenPlate.jpg
Church wardens
5OilStain.jpg
Oil stain round hole where the pulley eye bolt was
6Clock+Wind.jpg
One of the auto-winders (blue)
7CarpetsHung.jpg
Carpets hangings reduce reverberation 
8BeamEnd.jpg
Beam end (before carpets)

Back to top Return to The tower Up to Bell chamber Down to Ringing room Return to Home page Feedback