Site map Home Ringing at All Saints All Saints Ringers All Saints Tower Bell restoration Project Visiting All Saints Learning to Ring About Bellringing History of Ringing Articles Links Diary Contact us

Did you know? : All Saints bells are hung in a relatively rare type of iron frame, made by Webb & Bennett of Kidlington.


The Ringing Room

 The ringing room is where the ringers stand while ringing. At All Saints, this is a gallery open to the nave, unlike many towers where the ringers are hidden high in the tower. The gallery was made in the 1860s, as part of a programme of extensive repairs and modification.

West window –  The magnificant west window is the most striking feature of the room, filling one wall. It dates from 1885, and was erected in memory of Com. Elliott Mores. See the detailed pictures and description .

Nave view – The gallery provides a good view of two of the church's notable interior features: the splendid roof timbers  and the chalk pillars .

Memorials –  On the ringing room walls are many stone memorials, as well as five peal boards, various pictures and striking competition  certificates.


Pictures

See All pictures at once , or click on each one to enlarge.

10Gallery.jpg
View from the nave to the ringing gallery
NaveView.jpg
Nave viewed from the ringing gallery
3SouthAilse.jpg
Chalk pillars and south aisle from the gallery
4NaveRoof.jpg
The nave roof viewd from the gallery
11Ringing.jpg
Ringing
93Visitors.jpg
Visitors
94Spider.jpg
Rope 'spider'
96RopesFmBelow.jpg
Looking up at ropes hung on spider
2WestWindow.jpg
The west window
5SarahNashPlq.jpg
Sarah Nash
6WilliamNashPlq.jpg
William Nash
7ENPlq.jpg
"E N'"
8AliciaWebbPlq.jpg
Alicia Webb & Henrietta Aspley
90IMPlq.jpg
"IM gave 40 shillings"
91HoltonPlq.jpg
Mary Holton
92BenBrownPlq.jpg
Benjamin Brown

Back to top Return to The tower Up to Clock room Down to Porch Return to Home page Feedback